16 Dec How is the selection of egg donors carried out?
Egg donation is a voluntary, altruistic and anonymous process. The Spanish Legislation authorized the donation of eggs in 1988 and is currently perfectly regulated by Law 14/2006, of May 14, on assisted human reproduction techniques, establishes that the donation must be made anonymously, voluntarily, informed and not paid.
To do this, donors must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 years old and not exceed 34 years old.
- Have the ability to act and be in good mental and physical health.
- The donation must be formalized through a confidential, written and signed contract between the donor and the medical center.
Once we have collected all the necessary information, a complete medical, psychological and gynecological evaluation is carried out. This check-up is necessary to guarantee the donation’s health status and allows the donor to have specific information about her physical, mental and analytical health status. The study includes:
- Gynecological ultrasound.
- Cytology and vaginal culture.
- Laboratory tests (hemogram and coagulation tests, biochemistry, group and HR), screening for infectious diseases (syphilis, HBV, HCV, HIV, CMV).
- Genetic studies: karyotype, Cystic Fibrosis screening, Sd. Fragile X, Thalassemias and Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) Study.
- Psychological evaluation.
- Determination of phenotypic characteristics: race, height, weight, BMI, eye color, skin color, hair color and texture.
In addition, at Fertty we have our personalized donor “match” process and thanks to the team’s human touch, you will be totally sure that the result is the one that best suits you.
At Fertty we prefer to select your most suitable donor personally, since we go beyond looking for similar phenotypes.